2 1/2-3 lb pork butt (also known as a pork shoulder)
24 oz. (2 cans) Dr. Pepper
1 medium onion, cut in quarters and then again in half
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
Barbecue Sauce of choice (Sweet Baby Rays works well)
- Place the chopped onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the pork butt on top of the onions and add the garlic, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour the Dr. Pepper on top and cook on high for 4-5 hours (or on low for 8 hours).
- Very carefully, because the pork will be hot, remove the meat from the slow cooker and place on a large cutting board. Using two forks, shred the pork by pulling away from each other. The meat should be very tender by this point.
- Place the shredded pork back into the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional hour.
- Drain the remaining juices and toss the meat and onion mixture in the barbecue sauce of choice. Add sauce until you get to your desired sauciness!