BISTRO BEEF STEW
- 2 pounds boneless beef bottom round roast or boneless beef chuck shoulder roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 12 ounces assorted small whole mushrooms (such as cremini, shiitake and button)
- 2 cups packaged baby carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Combine flour and pepper. Lightly coat beef with flour mixture; reserve any remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot.
- Brown 1/2 of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining beef.
- Remove beef from stockpot; season with salt.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot. Add onions, garlic and thyme; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved.
- Stir in broth and reserved flour mixture.
- Return beef and juices to stockpot. Stir in mushrooms; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/4 hours.
- Add carrots to stockpot; continue simmering, covered, 30 minutes or until beef and carrots are fork-tender.
- Stir in peas; simmer 5 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition facts per serving: 281 calories; 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 64 mg cholesterol; 711 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrate; 3.3 g fiber; 29 g protein