Irish Potato Soup Ingredients
- 1 Pound Melissa’s Produce Dutch Yellow Potatoes
- 1 Pound Melissa’s Produce Ruby Gold Potatoes
- ¼ Pound thick cut bacon (Smoked and center cut is best)
- ½ Large sweet brown onion
- 3 Garlic cloves – minced
- ½ Trimmed Melissa’s Produce Leek- cut in ¼ inch slices (¼ white segments and ¼ green segments)
- 1 Bunch Melissa’s Produce Flowering Kale – cut or torn into one inch segments (may substitute any type of kale or cabbage)
- ¼ Cup Guinness stout
- 3 Cups chicken stock
- 3 Cups milk (low fat or whole)
- 1 Quart heavy cream
Soup Instructions1) Using a stock pot, boil the potatoes in salted water until potato smashes with flat fork
-While potatoes boil-
2) In a deep pan, cook bacon to a light crisp – reserve ½ rendered fat
3) Using the same pan that you cooked the bacon, adjust heat to medium. Add onions, garlic and leek slices to hot pan.
4) When onions begin to sweat, add kale. Cook until kale begins to wilt. Remove from heat.
6) Drain potatoes and gently smash potatoes until they are all broken up. You want a very chunky mash.
7) Add potatoes to the pan and add some of the reserved bacon fat, salt, lemon juice, Guinness, salt and fresh pepper to taste.
8) With heat still on Medium-high, integrate the potatoes and vegetables. Allowing the potatoes to slightly brown and stick to the pan.
9) Using the same stockpot that you boiled the potatoes, add the chicken stock, milk and heavy cream.Heat until milk mixture begins to simmer. Stir regularly.
10) Add the potato mixture to milk mixture. Stir to integrate ingredients.
11) Cook on medium-low heat for at least 10 minutes, longer for a thicker soup.
12) Serve with chives or green onions.
At step 8, add one cup of milk and ½ cup butter to the potato mixture.
Whip potatoes until thick and fluffy.