Knockoff recipe (non-vegetarian)
- ½ large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream, milk will work too
- In a large pot, saute onion in olive oil until almost translucent. Add garlic and sauté a couple minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water and chicken broth to pot. Stir to combine and until it reaches a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- After it has boiled for 30 minutes, puree soup as necessary to reach desired constancy. I like mine with chunks of tomatoes.
- Add salt, pepper and cream to pot with tomato soup and simmer for 10 additional minutes.
- To serve, drizzle with sour cream and top with tortilla chip strips.