- 1 cup broth (I use low-sodium vegetable broth)
- 1/3 cup instant tapioca
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 6-8 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, including juices
- 2 pounds lean, boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 pounds baby carrots
- 2 large onions, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, cut in quarters or eighths, depending on size
- Preheat oven to 325°F degrees.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven, stir broth and tapioca until combined. Stir in salt, pepper, basil and garlic. Add tomatoes and stir until combined.
- Alternately add beef, carrots, onions and potatoes to Dutch oven, folding and stirring to make sure everything gets coated.
- Cover and pop in the oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat and vegetables are tender.