Not sure the beer couldn't be a red wine.
- 2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T butter, unsalted
- 1 1/2 C pearl onions, peeled
- 2 lg carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 C low sodium beef broth, divided
- 1 T light brown sugar, packed
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 (2.6 oz) package beef demi-glace
- 1 1/2 C Oud Bruin-style beer
- 2 C small red potatoes, cut in half
- 8 oz button mushrooms, cut in half
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 T flat leaf parsley, minced
- 2 tsp cider vinegar, optional
DirectionsSeason beef with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or a large, heavy saucepan over medium high heat.
Add beef in batches; sear on all sides.
Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add butter and reduce heat to medium.
Add onions and carrots and sauté until lightly golden, about 6 minutes.
Whisk together 1 C of beef broth with brown sugar, tomato paste and demi-glace.
Add to vegetables, stirring to combine.
Add beer and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Return beef to pan along with potatoes, mushrooms, thyme and remaining beef broth.
Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until beef is very tender.
Before serving, stir in parsley and cider vinegar to taste.