- 1 large head of cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated or julienned*
- 1 cup granulated sugar**
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup neutral flavor vegetable oil***
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white or apple cider vinegar
Combine the shredded cabbage, chopped bell pepper and chopped onions, and the grated or julienne carrots in a large serving bowl.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
Simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved; cool slightly, then pour over vegetables and toss well.
Cover and refrigerate the salad until thoroughly chilled.
The recipe makes enough slaw for 8 to 10 servings.
*A julienne peeler makes beautiful julienne strands of carrot, perfect for any salad or coleslaw.
***Use a neutral-flavored oil, such as corn oil, grapeseed, safflower, peanut, or canola.